Coles Electroacoustics 4104 Noise Canceling Sports Commentator's Lip Ribbon Mic [Refurbished]
( 283247417440) )
Classic Commentary Mic • Tested/Guaranteed • Used/Excellent Condition • XLR Balanced Output
Photos show the actual item for sale
This is a used microphone that is in excellent cosmetic condition and thas been tested to confirm that it is fully functional. The photos show the actual item you will receive. Ribbon mics have a low-ish output compared to condenser and dynamic types so you may need to pair it with a preamp with a decent maximum gain.
The Definitive Voiceover Mic for Loud Environments - As Seen on TV...
If you're reading this then you probably know that these mics are the de-facto standard for voicing commentaries on live action.
Full details may be obtained from the manufacturer's datasheet.
Usually Sells for $840
Originally developed by the BBC to meet a stringent requirement for cancellation of off-axis ambient noise, these microphones were subsequently adopted by broadcasters around the world.
Manufacturer's Description of the Coles 4104
The 4104 Commentators Noise Cancelling Ribbon Microphone is of British Broadcasting (BBC) design and used for reproducing high quality commentary speech from noisy surroundings by cancelling out a considerable degree of background noise.
The 4104 has a proven reliable performance capability, being since its introduction used by such broadcasting networks as the BBC, IBA, CBS and ABC. The 4104 is not unduly affected by wind noise and can be used in air stream velocities up to 20 mph (32 km) without notable difference in speech quality. With the use of a simple windshield attachment good quality speech reproduction can also be achieved in winds ranging up to 40 mph (64 km) or more. Importantly the polar response is effectively bi-directional allowing one or more commentators to make clear individual commentary close side by side without interference from mutual cross over talk.
This microphone is generally regarded as the leader in its field. Wherever it is essential to single out a speaker's voice without transmitting background noise, this is the choice of buyers from all over the world. One example application is its use in sports reporting, selecting the spoken commentary and cutting out the roar of racing cars at Brands Hatch or the screams of the little old ladies in the ringside seats at wrestling contests. News reporters broadcasting eyewitness accounts of processions and street demonstrations have also depended on this type of microphone.
Equally important is its application in noisy industrial environments; prompt information and explicit instruction may be matters of life and death in a shunting yard or rolling mill, and a noise-cancelling microphone of this quality is the most vital element in such communications.
- Better than 30 dB average discrimination between voice and background noise
- Provides speech of broadcast quality completely free from breath noises
- Flat frequency response at the controlled talking distance
- Corrugated aluminium ribbon protected by fine woven nylon gauze
- Low mass damped ribbon to control transient response
- Bi- directional
- 60 Hz to 12,000 Hz
- All microphones factory tested in free field conditions
- Microphone Type: Pressure gradient transducer ribbon microphone
- Ribbon: Corrugated aluminium ribbon protected by fine woven nylon Gauze
- Polar response: Bi-directional
- Impedance: 300-ohm
- Frequency response: 60 Hz to 12,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: -50db W.R.T. IV/Pa
- Distortion: <1% THD at 120db SPL
- Connector: XLR-pin 2 hot
- Dimensions: 8"(200 mm) x 2 1/4"(57 mm) x3"(76 mm)
- Weight: 10 oz. (283g)
- Finish: Body brown enamel paint with brown pvc covered handle
- Body housing: Brass perforated case with stainless steel nose and mouth screens, pvc covered handle. Designed to provide a natural holding position for long periods
- Hum rejection: Equivalent electro-magnetic hum pickup less than 0.0002 dynes/cm2 equivalent acoustic input for 1 milligauss at 50 Hz